Skip to main content

Advise friend on which subject to specialize in

IELTS GT Writing Task 1 (Letter Writing) Sample: 

You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

You have a friend who is about to enter university, and he wants you to advise him on which subject to specialize in – history, in which he is very interested, or computer science, which offers better job prospects.

Write a response to this friend.

You should write at least 150 words.

You do NOT need to write your own address.

Begin your letter as follows:

Dear...,


Model Answer: 

Dear Rosy,

I was so happy to receive your letter last Monday and hope you are doing great. I am fine and having a magnificent time at my university. The cold is severe now than it was last week. However, it was great to know that you are about to enter the university. You wanted my advice on picking the major for your university curriculum.

I know you are interested in history and a good reader on this subject. But to be practical, you will have fewer job opportunities after specializing in this course. Rather, I would suggest you computer science as your major. In fact, we are moving to a fast-paced world and the application of computer is everywhere. You will have good jobs and better remuneration if you can complete the course successfully.

So, if you truly seek my advice, considering the realities, I would recommend computer science for you. Initially, you will find it a bit difficult but I know you are a quick learner and can accept challenges. Hence, computer science would not be a better choice for you.

Stay fine and take care. Very best wishes to you and your family members.

Yours Ever,

Cynthia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You recently had your computer fixed

IELTS GT Writing Task 1 (Letter Writing) Sample: You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. You recently had your computer fixed at a local computer store, however, you are not pleased with the service you received. Write a letter to the store manager. In the letter:      - describe the situation      - explain why you are dissatisfied      - say what you want the manager to do. You should write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write your own address. Begin your letter as follows: Dear Mr ......., Model Answer: Dear Mr Michel, I recently took your service to fix my computer here in Auckland. But I am still experiencing the problems and I am actually dissatisfied with the service your shop provided me. For the last couple of weeks, my computer rebooted all of a sudden and I took it to your repair shop. I also experienced problems with the graphics card and LAN card which I reported to t...

Waiter/ waitress required for evening work

IELTS GT Writing Task 1 (Letter Writing) Sample: You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. You want to apply for the following job. "Waiter/ waitress required for evening work. Some experience would be necessary." Write a letter to Mr Moore describing your previous experience and explaining why you would be suitable for the job. You should write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write your own address. Begin your letter as follows: Dear Mr Moore, Model Answer: Dear Mr Moore, I am Victor Rock, applying for the position of a waiter at your restaurant. In fact, I did not miss the advertisement seeking a waiter for your restaurant in the centre of London. You would be glad to know that I have some experience of performing the role as a waiter. I worked at a local restaurant in the city as a part-timer for about one and a half year. So, I know how to serve people – taking orders and serving them accordingly, reserving seats, greet them and th...

Your suitcase was damaged from bus travel

IELTS GT Writing Task 1 (Letter Writing) Sample: You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. You travelled by a long distance bus recently and your suitcase was damaged. Write a letter to the bus company. In your letter,      - inform the bus company of when and to where you travelled.      - describe your suitcase and what happened to it.      - explain why the company should pay for a new suitcase. You do NOT need to write your own address. You should write at least 150 words.  Model Answer:  Dear Sir/ Madam, I am a regular commuter of the buses your company runs and writing to complain about a damaged suitcase. As the manager of the bus company that runs between Kolkata and Mumbai, I think you should know about the matter. I travelled to Mumbai last Monday from Kolkata as I frequently commute between these two locations. My suitcase got seriously damaged as it was not properly taken car...

Write a letter to the shop and ask if they have the things you want

IELTS GT Writing Task 1 (Letter Writing) Sample: You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. You would like to buy some electrical goods at a shop in a nearby town. Write a letter to the shop and ask if they have the things you want or whether they will be able to order them. Ask what the prices are and how long they will be able to hold the goods for you. You should write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write your own address. Begin your letter as follows: Dear Sir , Model Answer:  Dear Sir, Hope you are fine and doing well with your electrical shop in Kowloon, Hong Kong. I have recently opened an office in the same city, and need some specific electrical goods for my office. Your store was recommended by a friend lately. I have started a consultancy firm here in Hong Kong, and the preparation to decorate the office is still underway. Once the preparatory tasks are done, I will be in need of bulbs including LED lights, tube lights, switchboar...

You have been doing some voluntary work

IELTS GT Writing Task 1 (Letter Writing) Sample: You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. You have been doing some voluntary work to help your local community. However, now you are unable to continue doing this work. Write a letter to the manager of the organisation where you have been working. In your letter:     - describe the work you have been doing     - explain why you can no longer do this work     - recommend another person who is interested in the work You should write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write your own address. Begin your letter as follow; Dear..., Model Answer:  Dear Mrs Sara, I had been voluntarily involved with the child labour awareness program at your organization, but sadly, now I am unable to continue this work. I was engaged with the awareness-raising program among the local people here in Mumbai over child labour. However, recently I have applied for a scholarship to a German u...

You are going on holiday and you would like to hire a car

IELTS GT Writing Task 1 (Letter Writing) Sample: You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. You are going on holiday and you would like to hire a car. One of your parties is in a wheelchair. Write a letter to a car hire company. In your letter:     - explain the reason you need the car     - describe the type of car you need     - ask what the price is and what it includes You should write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write your own address. Model Answer:  Dear Sir/Madam, I am Jennifer Lawrence, coming to Thailand for a holiday next week with my friends and need to hire a car from your company during our week-long stay in the country. We will travel to different tourists sports and would like to hire the car with an English-speaking driver. One of my mates recently had an accident and needs to use a wheelchair for his regular movement. He will be with us on this trip. So, I will need a car that has enough space ...

An English-speaking friend wants to spend a two-week holiday

IELTS GT Writing Task 1 (Letter Writing) Sample: You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. An English-speaking friend wants to spend a two-week holiday in your region and has written asking for information and advice. Write a letter to your friend. In your letter,      - offer to find somewhere to stay      - give advice about what to do      - give information about what clothes to bring You should write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write your own address. Begin your letter as follows: Dear........, Model Answer: Dear Roger, Your letter that I received last Monday was truly amazing. I was delighted to know that you are set to come here in Sri Lanka to spend holidays for two weeks. I appreciate your letter seeking some information and advice and cannot wait to have you in my city. Colombo is the best place to stay in the country and you can access any parts of the country through ...

You travelled by plane last week and your luggage was lost

IELTS GT Writing Task 1 (Letter Writing) Sample: You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. You travelled by plane last week and your luggage was lost. You have still heard nothing from the airline company. Write to the airline explain what happened. Describe your luggage and tell them what was in it. Find out what they are going to do about it. You should write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write your own address. Begin your letter as follow; Dear Sir,   Model Answer:  Dear Sir, I'm Maria Robert writing to inquire about my lost luggage. A week ago, I informed you the incident regarding my missing luggage. One week has passed since then and I have not heard any update though I have lodged a complaint immediately. I lost my baggage while travelling from Texas to Florida by your airline. Could you please explain me actually what has happened with the luggage? It was a medium-sized luggage and black in colour from the Pierre Cardin brand. It...

Write a letter to the landlord regarding problems

IELTS GT Writing Task 1 (Letter Writing) Sample: You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. You are a student at an English language school in Brighton and are living in private accommodation with other flatmates. You have not had hot water or heating for some time. The landlord’s workmen have tried to fix the problem but without success. Write a letter to the landlord. In your letter,      - state your reason for writing      - describe the problems and explain how you feel      - propose a solution and ask the landlord to take action You should write at least 150 words. You do NOT need to write your own address. Begin your letter as follow; Dear...,   Model Answer:  Dear Mr Moor, I am Nicholas, a tenant of your flat at 17 Beaver Street and a student in an English language school in Brighton. I am writing to inform you some issues I am facing in your flat. The water heating system o...